Thursday 18 August 2011

"Leave me alone...but not for too long." Privacy.

Last week I mentioned that I had my three grandsons staying for twelve days and I was experiencing a missing emotional need.


That need was one we all have at times. A need for a time of privacy. Some 'me' time. Some 'me' space. 


It's not about being selfish, it's about allowing the brain to slow down.


A time to rest the mind and body.
A time to recharge the batteries.


Like the cell indicator on a mobile phone. We all need to have a time to recharge, otherwise our batteries run out. And we are warned. Our body tells us. We don't listen to our cost.


But as with so many things in life, it's a case of not too little, but not too much. There are too many people, especially the elderly, experiencing too much 'me' time and feeling isolated.


So I'm going to take a break and catch up with me.  


My starting point will be this famous poem:


                               Leisure
                        by William Henry Davies
    What is this life if, full of care, 
    We have no time to stand and stare. 
    No time to stand beneath the boughs 
    And stare as long as sheep or cows. 
    No time to see, when woods we pass, 
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass. 
    No time to see, in broad daylight, 
    Streams full of stars like skies at night. 
    No time to turn at Beauty’s glance, 
    And watch her feet, how they can dance. 
    No time to wait till her mouth can Enrich that smile her eyes began. 
    A poor life this if, full of care, 
    We have no time to stand and stare.

©RitaLeaman2011

No comments: