Sunday 18 March 2012

"Eat for the future, not in the past" - Olympic Training



On Saturday, March 10th, my neighbour said, "Have you lost weight?" I kissed her on the cheek. At last, someone had noticed. (Before I'd mentioned it.) 


On Friday March 16th, my son said tentatively, "May I say that you're looking trim." I jumped up from the sofa, punching the air. At last, a family member had noticed.


Wearing baggy winter layers doesn't make weight loss immediately noticeable, but for the last few weeks, I was beginning to wonder if my efforts were worth it, if no-one noticed.

For regular readers you may recall a blog at the beginning of the year. http://emotionalgrowth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/dont-tell-me-what-to-do-resolutions.html


So what happened next?


I wrote about my health being a prime motivator for weight loss and it should have been, as it should be for most of us. But in all honesty, it was vanity that provided that all important kick start. In April I will be collecting my London 2012 Games Maker uniform. A purple and cream track suit with red trimmings. I just did not want to go to the collecting depot and be handed a Size 18. As things are progressing, that looks unlikely.


In April, I'm also taking up a position as President of the Soroptimist International York Ebor club. This means official photographs being taken and published over the next year.  Another motivator.


Ok, so I had a SMART goal. Specific. Measurable. Achievable. Realistic. Timed. But how was I going to achieve it?  Diets were a big no-no, for reasons stated in the aforementioned blog. So I started to mention that I was doing Olympic Training. To get fit and increase stamina. That suited me and was easier to talk about. 


My food intake was generally quite healthy and nutritious, so I didn't quite know where to start. The mantra of 'eat less, exercise more' was going round my head. Did I need support of some sort? 


A new year always heralds masses of money-making weight loss offers. A poster went up in the village. A new slimming club was starting some meetings at 8pm on Thursdays. I was tempted, but going out at 8pm on dark, cold streets and paying money did not appeal. Then a money saving website advertised that a slimming club was offering a free three months trial online. That was more tempting.


I looked up the website. It did not forbid any food or say that certain foods were a sin. That was crucial for my personal psychology. It counted points and you could swap activity points for food. Sounded promising. I could do it on my own and in my own time.


That's where I started and immediately was quite shocked. My regular healthy breakfast bowl of muesli, fruit and yoghurt, used up over half my daily allowance. There was no problem with the contents, it was the size of the portion. I discovered that, quite simply, I was eating too much.


Eight weeks later, how could I sum up how I have achieved a loss of over 1 stone (14lbs)? Guess what? Eat less, exercise more!


Emotionally, I've also had to manage the comfort eating feelings. Eat for the future, not in the past.


But I've had to do it my way. As my increasingly strong-minded two-year old granddaughter says, "Addie do it..."
  • Using a set of kitchen scales, as I have been genuinely surprised at how easy it is to consume more than is needed.
  • Downsizing from a large dinner plate to a dessert plate for meals. I was always feeling too full anyway, now I eat just enough.
  • Eating chocolate every day. 
  • Filling in a daily food and activity online diary.
  • Reducing alcohol intake drastically. It really is 'empty calories' or points in my case.
  • Walking that little bit faster and further, taking stairs when I can and thinking exercise can equal food.
  • Saying "No, thank-you." and meaning it.
  • Having a few emergency snacks around, just in case, especially around my most challenging time between 5 -7pm.
  • Using an image of me in that tracksuit, when I'm feeling weak-willed.
The upside:
  • Tucking tops into skirts and trousers.
  • Feeling fitter.
  • Digestive system working better with less food to process.
  • A belt going from being unusable to now 4 holes in.
  • Using the daily online food and activity diary to keep on track. 
  • Re-educating my brain.
  • Surgery-free stomach reduction.
  • Lowering the risk of diabetes 2 and heart disease.
  • Working around my weekly working chocolate-tasting work at Nestle.
  • Breathlessness walking up inclines noticeably reduced.
Downside
  • Clothes not fitting, but not ready to buy new ones.
  • Really difficult sometimes, though easier now.
  • Sometimes missing an evening glass or two of red wine and nibbles. 
  • More facial wrinkles, due to loss of face plumping. Vanity again. (Botox and fillers not an option.)
Writing it down for the first time is interesting. No contest really is it?

A couple of weeks ago, my husband commented on a jacket I was wearing. "That's looks nice", he said.  I replied, " Thank-you, I haven't been able to wear it for a while."  That was it. I thought he would pick-up on my reply, but he didn't. Possibly an example of hearing, but not listening?


So up to this point, he hasn't said anything, though I'm pretty sure he's noticed a change.


But he always reads my blog before I publish it. 


So I wonder what's he thinking now? I'll let you know...!*


*2hrs later. 
Husband: " Of course, I'd noticed." 
Me: " I thought so. Why didn't you say anything?"
Husband: "Well, when I said something when you put on weight, you were very negative."
Me: "So you didn't think that by saying something when you noticed I had lost weight, I would be positive?"
Husband: "No, I thought if I said something, you would be negative."
Me: "Well, I wouldn't have been."
Husband: "Tricky thing, women and their weight."


©RitaLeaman2012

No comments: