Saturday 25 June 2011

Keep taking the medicine...or perhaps not.



One of the things I like about writing this blog is that I don't know what I'm going to write about next. On Thursday, no particular subject had presented itself, then one conversation and two news stories later and I have my subject matter.


Before anyone thinks that it is going to be an anti medication rant, I will state now that I'm probably only still alive due to antibiotics. I also appreciate a cocktail of paracetamol and ibubrofen when my back goes into a spasm.


On the other hand, I could have killed myself in a car accident thirty years ago, when 'high' from some dodgy slimming pills I'd been prescribed. If I took everything that has been suggested by doctors, I would now be rattling on a daily basis and more unwell that I ever was in the first place. I could even be dead.


In conversation on Thursday, someone told me that two people in their workplace were unwell due to not taking their anti-depressants. Two people just 'gave up' taking their medication, have gone cold turkey and are now experiencing the unpleasant consequences.


From my experience, the majority of people take medication prescribed by their GPs and do not question what they are taking. "The doctors know what they are doing." "The doctor wouldn't give me anything that is harmful." "The doctor knows me, I trust him." "I'm not interested in what I'm taking."


I quote a GP. "We guesstimate"


Only last week someone said to me, "I need stronger painkillers. I shall go to the GP in the practice, who will give me anything I ask for." That is how I was prescribed the slimming pills with almost fatal consequenses.


In workshops, if the subject comes up, I suggest the following scenario:


1. Go to the GP, stating that you feel a bit 'down' or anxious.
2. Prescribed anti-depressants, although in the UK, the guidelines say that 'talking therapies' should be prescribed first.
3. After a time, feel better and decide to come off the medication, without doing it very slowly.
4. Experience symptoms than are like original ones, though they may even be worse.
5. Go back to the GP.
6. Prescribed a stronger dose or an additional medication.


There's always someone who can identify with that cycle.  The newer anti-depressants became popular because they were promoted as being non-addictive, unlike the previous generation of drugs. The manufacturers admit that their drugs have withdrawal symptoms, which are sometimes so unpleasant that the person stays on the drugs, rather than attempt to give them up. Apparently, this is not addiction according to Big Pharma. That's okay then.


It is very, very dangerous to go cold turkey on most types of anti depressants.  Someone I knew, sadly took his own life earlier this year. He was taking anti-depressants, but was experiencing sensations like electric shocks, trembling and was very depressed. It turned out that he was taking his medication randomly. It meant that he was going in and out of withdrawal. On top of his emotional problems, he thought he was going mad. No wonder he felt bad enough to hang himself. Probably an avoidable death. It's a scandal, but will the coroner say anything?


Talking to a paramedic I remarked that many people say, "I'm depressed, I'm on anti depressants." They fail to see the inconsistancy in that statement. The paramedic told me that every suicide or attempted suicide he had attended to, the person was taking anti-depressants. It's a scandal, but one that is unlikely to change. 


I recently heard a mother say, that she wouldn't check any labels on the back of food products because "shops wouldn't sell anything that was harmful to kids." I am presuming that she would also believe that GPs would only prescribe medication that was good for her and her family.


I experienced reflux and went to the pharmacy. The pharmacist told me to avoid mint. I looked at him quizzically and said, " But most anti-acids have mint in them." He raised his eyebows. "Ah, it could create a dependancy," I said.  He agreed.  He recommended a herbal tincture, which was most successful.


A couple of years ago I read that some cough medicine can also create dependancy and prolong the cough. Wow, that made so much sense to me, a person who generally has a nasty cough once a year. No more cough medicine for me. Paracetamol, fresh hot honey and lemon and a piece of quality dark chocolate helps just as well.


When did I first start to question doctors? About 30 year ago. I was experiencing gynaecological problems. I had an operation and the consultant said the problem would be solved.  It wasn't. In his consulting room he said to me, " if you don't pull your socks up young lady, you will lose your husband." Yes, absolutely true and with a nurse present too.


Fortunately I happened upon a book in the library that came up with the answer. I was experiencing pretty severe PMT. The book suggested Vitamin B6 and Evening Primrose Oil. I went to the health food shop. The GP told me I was "flakey," Six year later he was offering it to me on prescription and the hospital was recommending Evening Primrose Oil.


Roll on twenty years and I was peri-menopausal.  I was still naive in the ways of Big Pharma and knew nothing about trance states, when in the thrall of a good speaker.  I attended a luncheon for women interested in the menopause. A well known TV personality and doctor was promoting a book and HRT. She was evangelical and very good. Every woman over 50 should be on HRT forever. Sounded great to me. Then I slept on it.


In the morning I looked at the bigger picture. If every woman over 50 took HRT forever, who was the winner? Big Pharma. I googled the woman doctor.  Well, well, she sat on the board of a pharmacutical company.  On further investigation, the pharmacutical company had sponsored the excellent luncheon. I'm not taken for a mug any more.


"You are being negligent to your health and you're not to rubbish HRT", said my GP. I had told him that I was making an informed decision and not taking HRT.  Five years later he said, " I wouldn't advise HRT for you." "But, you told me I was being negligent", I spluttered. He lent across the desk, put his hand on my arm, and said, "things change my dear."


How did I deal with the menopause successfully? Through trial and error down the nutrition route.


You can imagine how interested I was to read this following story on low calorie diets and Diabetes 2 this week.


http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jun/24/low-calorie-diet-hope-cure-diabetes


But too many people do not want to change their lifestyle, however ill they are. They want to carry on doing what they are doing, eating what they want and just take a pill. The shelves in any chemist stuffed with treatments for indigestion and hemmorrhoids are witness to that. 


As I said at the beginning, if I took everything I had been advised to take,  I would be rattling. There are no scientific studies on the consequences of taking a cocktail of over two drugs. In the past, I have had to question the medication both my parents were taking. This next story on the elderly and medication came as no surprise this week:


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8594677/Fatal-cocktail-of-common-drugs-putting-elderly-at-risk.html


It's all a scandal, but nothing will be done, except Big Pharma will create another drug that they suggest will save the masses. But it will be at a high price for some people. They will also create drugs that do save people and I do not criticise them for that. I may be that person.


We need to take personal responsibility for everything we ingest and look after those more vulnerable in our families.


" 50 people die every year from being hit by falling coconuts.  Not to worry, drug makers are develping a vaccine."  ~ Jim Carrey


©RitaLeaman2011

No comments: